Hobart City Council has provided the following update regarding the track upgrade. Can all users please note the requirement to not use the track for any purpose whilst the new rubber is laid. This is essential so as to not disturb or hinder the process and or potentially damage the infrastructure.
UPDATE: The contractor commenced stripping the track and surrounds on 22 February and to date all has gone fairly smoothly. The bitumen under surface on the whole was in very good condition, however there was the need to replace a couple of small sections (including a section of the back straight where the bobcat used to strip the track broke a hydraulic hose).
The works are a couple of days behind schedule due to the bitumen works.
The contractor will commence laying the rubber this week – with a good run of weather they expect it will take 6 days to lay the black section of the surface, with a further 6 days for the upper layer. The final stage will be the line marking of the track, turfing areas around jump pits and shot put and then IAAF certification.
As part of the project we are also taking the opportunity to undertake some other minor works including:
- Removal of old pole vault pits from back straight
- Replacement of 2 pole vault pits in pole vault jump area
- Removal and replacement of 6 long/triple jump foundation trays and replacement with new trays
- Installation of 2 x 2m long jump foundation trays
- Resurface of shot put area with natural turf.
- Strip turf surfaces around jumping pits, re-level and re-turf.
Overall the HCC are very happy with how works are progressing and wish to thank the athletics community for their cooperation to date with working around the closure.
Please note - The next couple of weeks there will be increase security into the centre whilst they lay the rubber.